Where to go by Boat
You have multi-options to cruise to and from.
- You can cruise westward to Lough Key better known as the Killarney of the West with its 52 islands and fabulous Forest Park, Campsite and Cafe, Zipit, ground and treetop walks.
- You may stroll north to Battlebridge for a beautiful tucked away Pub and Grub; on to Acres Lake and into the vast waters of Lough Allen. For the essence of tranquillity You could have this 600sq km of lake all to yourself.
- Head northward through 70 Km of rolling countryside and 16 self-operated locks to that busy historic town of Enniskillen.
- If you want real laziness – face the bow south through Carrick on Shannon and allow the gentle current to meander you all the way to Limerick, and for the more courageous -beyond that is the Atlantic Ocean.
- If you have had a hard week, of traffic, stress, well you have the answer – don’t move your boat, put out a line and possible catch a nice trout or a pike, nip down to Oakport Lake in your dingy, and in the evening answer any of the beckons from other boats for a glass of wine on their decks. You will meet a very friendly bunch of boaties in Tara Marina. If you don’t want to BBQ that trout for dinner you can wander into our Bar for a pint enjoy the music and if/you want to spoil yourselves have dinner in our adjoining magnificent restaurant.
Where to go By road
North Roscommon is Rich in Heritage, abundant in wildlife which provides recreation for locals as well as visitors.
- Boyle Townnot only prides of its well preserved 11th century Abbey, it also boasts of its Famous Actor Son Chris O’Dowd and his award winning TV series Moone Boy
- Carrick on Shannonhas rightfully established itself as the most popular Inland Holiday Resort in Ireland. Developing cruising holidays, daytrips, kayaking, rowing, fishing, walks, an abundance of eateries, hotels nightclubs and shops galore
- Arigna Mining Experienceis 15 min away. Go down the old mine shafts a re-live the miner’s job with a retired miner as your guide.
- Strokestown House Famine Museum just 30min away, the untouched house and its interior since the 1920s.
- Carrowkeel Megalithic Cemetery20 min trip and see our forefather’s vertical tombs.
- The Royal Burial ground of Connaught is 30min. one of the top ten Medieval sites in Europe.
- Keadue fields one hour will take you to the buried village in north Mayo.
Your visitor wants to play golf
Within 5 min drive you have Woodbrook 18 hole Golf Course which adjoins the Boyle River Navigation.